Termed by some websites as the ‘most exciting breakthrough in natural weight loss’, the supplements with garcinia cambogia extracts (GCE) claim to be the saviour for overweight people- by providing a ‘fast and easy’ way to lose weight. Several products with this extract are available in the market. Ever since popular American t.v. personality Dr. Oz mentioned Garcinia cambogia as a weight loss supplement, its popularity has tremendously increased. For centuries, it resided in dry and dusty bags and was sold as, just a curry supplement. The irony is that ,today it shines in colorful, attractive bottles meant for dieters.
Garcinia Cambogia: A Safe Weight Loss Supplement?
The science behind Garcinia promoting weight loss is simple. See how it works:
- It Suppresses your hunger naturally: It reduces your hunger by increasing the level of Serotonin in your body. Usually, lower Serotonin levels results in depression which in turn drive us to eat more. As the Serotonin levels are increased, your mood improves and thus it suppresses your appetite. Your metabolism is also improved.
- It helps in controlling blood sugar level: By suppressing your appetite, it not only helps in controlling the carbohydrate intake but also, you are saved from an undesirable spike in the blood sugar levels and fat deposit in your body. It also inhibits an enzyme called citrate lyase, which causes the conversion of carbohydrate into fat and sugar.
- It also makes your digestive system more stronger: It protects you from irregular bowel movement and colic pain. It’s regular consumption helps in preventing acidity. Thus, by lessening your food craving and improving the functioning of digestive system, it is known to promote weight loss.
Clinical Studies on Garcinia Cambogia
There have been many studies confirming Garcinia’s effectiveness in reducing your weight:
- A study conducted in Elluru, India and another in Kanagawa, Japan gave enough evidences for the weight reduction property of garcinia.
- The result of a study byLipids indicated the reduced food intake bin animals.
- A study was conducted in India in 2004.A group of 60 overweight adults were divided into two groups. One group was prescribed HCA other group to take a plebaco. The study made it clear that, those adults who took HCA lost one percent more weight than the others.
- Another study conducted by Nutrition Research in rats also gave positive results.
- However, a study conducted by American Medical Association and a Korean organization didn’t give significant weight loss after using garcinia.
Health Claims: Are They Fact Or Fiction?
Some of the side effects include:
- Mild headaches
- Skin irritation
- Liver injury
- Antithrombotic effects
- Dry mouth
- Faint rash
- Fatty stools
- Restlessness and lack of sleep
Garcinia is not suitable for pregnant women and those with other allergic effects. A few studies observed that use of garcinia cambogia brought up changes in the levels of reproductive hormones, eventhough no reproductive disorders are observed yet. But, it is evident that, the merits of Garcinia outweigh its demerits. Moreover, there are side effects associated with the use of most of the diet pills.
Thus it is clear, that the study results are mixed. All these diet pills work only with proper exercise and healthy food habits .So exercise daily, eat healthy food and along with these use some diet pills like Garcinia Cambogia. You will definitely see a drop in your pounds.