Pregnancy massage has been gaining steady popularity over the years and is considered as an effective means to minimise the discomforts that come with pregnancy. If you are thinking about going for a pregnancy massage in Perth, it is essential to pick a highly-trained massage therapist who is specialised in providing anti-natal massages. You can either ask your obstetrician or midwife for recommendations or use internet search to find the right therapist.
It is very different from an ordinary massage as there are some risks involved in pregnancy massage when it is not done properly. There are some pressure points situated in your wrists and ankles and if they are stimulated, it can cause uterine contractions. Perth pregnancy massage therapists are also gentler in their approach.
Here are the various advantages of having a pregnancy massage in Perth,
- It can effectively reduce the level of stress hormones within your body and increase the other beneficial hormones that would be usually lower when you are depressed.
- It decreases your anxiety levels and can greatly improve your mood.
- Pregnancy massage sessions would let you rest and relax completely, thus revitalising your energy.
- It can reduce the general pregnancy discomforts like sore back, painful neck, cramps, swelling in the angle and feet, fluid retention and heaviness of the pelvic bone.
- It can decrease your joint pains and provide relief.
- It offers a sense of connections to those women who feel “touch-deprived” during their pregnancy.
- It can improve your overall sleeping pattern.
When to avoid pregnancy massage?
- At certain times, your midwife or obstetrician would advise you not to have any kinds of massage depending on your body condition.
- Most massage therapist will not perform massages when you are still in your first trimester of pregnancy. This is due to the fact that there is a high chance of miscarriage in the first 12 weeks of the gestation period.
- If you have a history of preterm labor, then it is risky to have a pregnancy message.
- Women under the category of high-risk pregnancy are advised against pregnancy massage.
- If you have hypertension as a result of your pregnancy.
- Sometimes pregnancy message can make you feel sick, light headed or cause headaches. In such circumstances, it is best to avoid it.
- If you don’t like being touched by others and find the experience les enjoyable. It is not necessary to have a massage just because others recommend it. Your sense of comfort matters the most.
However, at most times pregnancy massage makes you comfortable and is very beneficial for your pregnancy.